Home Care Fun: National Cashew Day
Home Care in Princeton NJ
Snacking can play an important role in your home care journey with your aging loved ones. Eating small meals and snacks throughout the day stabilizes their blood sugar, helps to ward off cravings, supports their metabolism, gives them plenty of opportunity to get the nutrition that their bodies need to stay healthy and strong, and reduces the compulsion to overindulge at mealtimes. Nuts are a particularly fantastic snack, and on November 23 you can make celebrating one of the most delicious and nutritious of these nuts part of your home care efforts by observing National Cashew Day.
Some of the health benefits of cashews include
• Naturally cholesterol free
• Help to reduce blood pressure for lasting cardiovascular health
• Antioxidants that fight off free radicals to reduce the risk of many types of cancer and support eye health
• Help to guard against cataracts
• Contain good fats for heart health and to support weight loss efforts
• Help to stabilize blood sugar to help prevent diabetes
• Contain copper, iron, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, and iron, all of which are important to blood health and properly bodily function
• Contain a wide variety of vitamins including vitamin E, K, and B6
• Contain arginine which is known to protect the lining of the artery walls, helping to fight heart disease
• Supports the immune system
• Contain dietary fiber which controls cholesterol, supports healthy digestion, and helps to keep you feeling fuller, longer
• A good source of protein, which is essential for building and maintaining healthy body tissues, and for generating lasting, sustainable energy
There are many ways that you can enjoy the rich, buttery, sweet flavor of cashews. Try some of these ideas, and share them with your aging parents’ in home health care services provider, to introduce more cashews into your parents’ diet on National Cashew Day and throughout the rest of the year:
• Add them to stir-fried vegetables and chicken for extra crunch, flavor, and protein
• Grind them up with a sprinkle of salt to create homemade cashew butter that makes a delicious alternative to peanut butter on sandwiches, celery, or in other recipes
• Make or purchase cashew milk to replace dairy and enjoy a richer, creamier flavor and better nutrition
• Get creative and try your hand at making cashew-based vegan cheese to cut down on the dairy products in your parents’ diet while still enjoying a creamy, delicious snack
• Grind them up and mix them with ricotta cheese to stretch and boost the nutrition of lasagna or other recipes
• Toss with dried fruit and other nuts for a satisfying trail mix that will bump up your energy and keep you going through that mid-afternoon slump.
Get in touch with the elder care agency in your area to find out about hiring an in home health care services provider who can help you pursue your goal of getting your aging loved ones the nutrition that their bodies need to stay healthy and strong throughout their aging years, and enhance their lives through a personalized care plan designed with their specific needs in mind.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring home care services in Princeton, NJ or the surrounding areas, please call Independence Home Care today at 609-208-1111 for more information.